Maine Maritime Academy
Prospective Students Alumni Parents Students Directions Home

MMA Students to Take Winter Plunge

CASTINE - Maine Maritime Academy’s (MMA) Class of 2013 will sponsor their annual Polar Dip on Thurs., Feb. 23, at 4 p.m. The Polar Dip is a fundraiser to benefit the Class of 2013 and the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Hearty members of Maine Maritime Academy's student body, staff, and faculty will plunge into the cold waters of the Bagaduce River to raise funds for both groups.
    MMA’s Polar Dip is a popular annual winter activity on campus, and has served as a light-hearted fundraiser. Organizers expect more than 30 people to complete the plunge. All proceeds from the event will be divided between the two groups, with 60 percent of funds raised going to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The remaining 40 percent of funds will aid the Class of 2013 in hosting their traditional Ring Dance, a formal ball that features the presentation of class rings.
    Organizations and individuals from throughout the Maine Maritime Academy community have pledged to support participants. The MMA Parents Association will donate refreshments and hot beverages, and the college's waterfront staff will provide a safety boat.
    Spectators are welcome and are invited view the plunge from the MMA Waterfront area. To learn more about the event or to make a contribution, contact Ashley Marcellino or Autumn Jones, student organizers of the Polar Dip, at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

###

Quick Links