All former students who have resigned, been disenrolled, or not been enrolled for two consecutive academic semesters, and who wish to apply for readmission, must submit an application for readmission to the Director of Admissions. The application will be considered by the Academic Board sitting as a Board of Readmission.
Favorable consideration will be based upon evaluation of the reasons for previous separation, evidence of improved academic standing, improved conduct, and increased personal maturity. Admissions authorized by the Academic Board will be subject to space being available in the class for which admission is sought.
Students may be readmitted at the start of the fall semester, the spring semester, annual training cruise, cadet shipping, or co-operative. An application for readmission must be completed by the following dates for consideration:
- Fall semester - July 1
- Spring semester - October 15
- Training cruise - March 1
The application must be accompanied by such additional information as required by the Director of Admissions to establish justification for favorable consideration. Applying for readmission requires:
- a completed application for readmission and $15 fee prior to the deadlines stated above;
- a typed resume to include a description of what you have done during your absence. Include: employment, schools attended, courses taken, and a statement for why you wish to return to MMA;
- two (2) letters of recommendation from MMA faculty members and/or administrators;
- a letter of recommendation from a recent employer;
- an official transcript from each school attended since last enrolled at MMA;
- written proof from MMA chief financial officer stating that you are in satisfactory financial standing with the college.
Forward all materials to:
Director of Admissions
Maine Maritime Academy
66 Pleasant Street
Castine, ME 04420
Students seeking readmission will be required to personally appear before the Readmission Board at the time your application is reviewed. Once your application is complete, the Director of Admissions will contact you with specific arrangements concerning your interview with the board.
- Former students who have received their undergraduate degree at MMA and now wish to pursue a second undergraduate degree at MMA should apply using the application for readmission. To be a candidate for a second undergraduate degree, a student must have the recommendation of the department chair of the major.
- Students seeking readmission who wish to change their major may indicate the desired new major on the application for readmission. If approved, this procedure eliminates the need for the student to complete a Change of Major request after enrollment.
- Students who have attended other institutions of higher learning since their last enrollment at MMA must have an official transcript from each institution attended submitted directly to the Director of Admissions. These transcripts must be received and satisfactory performance must be indicated before approval for registration will be granted. Failure to report any schools attended will result in your application not being accepted. In cases where the courses are in progress and transcripts will not be available in time, a progress report from the course instructor(s) must be submitted. If readmitted, a student will not necessarily be awarded transfer credit for work taken at another institution after dismissal from MMA. In no case will credit be allowed for courses taken at another institution that the student previously failed at MMA.
- Co-op students on an official work term and also taking courses at MMA are not required to apply for readmission if they withdraw from all courses during the work term. Their enrollment status is retained as a co-op student at work.
- Students who have been dismissed as a consequence of disciplinary infractions may only be readmitted after a period of documented exemplary good conduct. Students who have been dismissed for academic failure will be considered only upon evidence of improved academic potential. As a matter of general policy, a student who has resigned rather than face a disciplinary hearing for an infraction of student regulations will not be considered for readmission.
MMA will try to meet the returning students course selection requests. However, pre-registration by currently enrolled students may result in desired courses being at capacity. Maine Maritime Academy can not guarantee on-campus housing.
- NOTE: All students must submit an updated physical examination as a criterion for readmission. Depending on how long you have been out of school, you may be required to have additional immunizations. Should you have additional questions regarding your immunizations, e-mail
. You must satisfy all physical and immunization requirements prior to registration.
A $100 non-refundable deposit is required of all returning students to reserve their position in the class. Failure to notify the Director of Admissions by the appropriate date may result in loss of place.
In cases of a negative decision, applicants may submit a written request of appeal to the Vice President for Academic Affairs within ten days of notification. The request should stipulate the basis for appeal.
Students who resign from the Marine Maritime Academy/Bath Iron Works or Electric Boat Associate Degree programs may apply for readmittance to the program only by contacting the Director of Admissions at Maine Maritime Academy. The application must include a supporting endorsement from the Industry Site Director. A student who has continued to take Academy-administered courses as a requirement for participation in Bath Iron Works Corporation's apprentice training program may, upon readmission to the program, request recognition of grades received while in a disenrolled status. Retroactive recognition will be granted for courses completed in the year preceding the request.
to inquire about your educational and career goals and how Maine Maritime can help you achieve them.
(800)227-8465 Out of Maine